Saturday, September 11, 2010

We Will Never Forget



I remember the phone waking me up very early that morning. It was my mom. She said to turn on the T.V. I asked her what channel? She said it didn't matter it was on every channel. She said we were under attack. A plane had hit the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. I wasn't prepared for what I saw when I turn on the television.
I watched in disbelief as the WTC burned and I listened to the news anchors. I kept thinking it wasn't real. It had to be a horrible movie. I couldn't stop thinking of all the people on the plane that had crashed into the building and how terrified the people in the building must be. I was in shock and couldn't have imagined there was so much more horror to come.
I think I began to cry when I saw the second plane hit. Continuing to watch everything unfold, I think I was so overwhelmed I went a bit numb. I began to wonder how people were going to get out of the buildings. I felt scared, helpless and shocked by what I was witnessing.
Then the first building came down. I dropped to my knees and cried out loud to God to have mercy. I was overtaken by emotion. I felt absolute horror in my heart. I cried and began to pray for all the people in the buildings and the rescuers on the ground below them.
I will never forget that day. It is etched in my mind forever. Its a part of me like its a part of every American. All of us were touched by this tragic event. I prayed for those who lost someone on 9/11/01 this morning and they will not be far from my mind throughout the day.

No comments: