Monday, August 9, 2010

Laughter...



My Grandma is out of the hospital and back at her apartment at the independent living community. Things are not going well. She is extremely weak and fell hurting her foot this week. She is now using a wheelchair to move around when she feels like getting out of bed. She has gotten to the point that she cannot care for herself and needs around the clock care. We have put her on the waiting list for assisted living. We don't know how long it will take to get her in and so now the juggling of who can stay with her begins. There is the option of having nurses come and help with her care, but it is very costly. So mom, my uncle and I are going to try and figure out how to take care of her and keep her safe until other arrangements can be made.
I stayed with her this past Saturday night and found it very surreal to take care of someone who used to take care of me. She has all but given up on living and its heartbreaking to see such sadness in her eyes. She is slipping into depression and doesn't want to do anything. What do you do when someone you love so deeply, almost in tears says, "Please don't make me get up. I can't get out of bed." How much do you push? I mean, its my Grandma. There are so many mixed feelings inside of my heart. What is best for her? Should I make her get dressed and insist she not give up on life? She is 91yrs old...She tells me she is so tired. The fight is gone out of her eyes.
It feels like a hopeless situation until she laughs...she has laughed at me making mistakes while taking care of her.(and I've made MANY stupid mistakes.)I think as long as there is laughter there is hope.

No comments: