Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Unseen Gifts

When I was 10 years old I saw the movie "Annie" and LOVED it. I would play my record of the movie soundtrack, open my closet doors to create a stage and sing my heart out. I wanted to BE Annie! Not the little orphan Annie, but the singing and dancing Annie. I don't remember wanting to grow up and become something specific or special, but I do remember desiring so much to BE Annie.
Well, I didn't become Annie. I became a teacher. When I look back, I didn't BECOME a teacher. I was BORN a teacher. Its something that has always come natural to me. On my gymnastics team I would get into trouble for helping my teammates learn new skills instead of practicing myself. It felt more satisfying to see them succeed with my help. As I got older I walked the path into coaching gymnastics, then pre-school and now back to teaching non-competitive gymnastics. I have a gift of teaching.
So, I think God puts natural raw gifts in us and, if we chose, to we can allow Him to help us develop those gifts. I believe our gifts are ultimately placed in us to bring Him glory and honor. I'm beginning to search myself and try and discover my gifts. I'm looking closely at my natural abilities wondering what else God would like me to do with my life. You think it would be easy, but sometimes we bury those gifts quite deeply as we get caught up in life. Many times others see gifts in us we don't realize are there until they are pointed out to us. I welcome anyone to open my eyes to my unseen gifts!

2 comments:

The Sparrow Still Sings in the Rain... said...

Glad you are feeling better now. I have found God's gifts do come raw and it is up to us to hone them in and mold ourselves for His Glory.
Looking back I am glad of that because sometimes getting to the Red Sea is as important as crossing it.

Continue to cast out to the water and be patient as the fish come inl
We are not called to convict anyone, that is the Holy Spirit...we are called to share Jesus and all he had done for us and means to us.

love
unc

Maile and Mitchell said...

Believe it or not Monica I think one of your gifts is being not only in-tune with the spirit but acting on spiritual promptings to bless others in your life. I think we can be God's instruments in blessing others live's and I have seen you do that multiple times not only to me but others.It is a beautiful gift you have. Love you Monica!